Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"In war, everything is simple . . .

"... but even the simplest things are difficult." 

So observed Carl von Clausewitz, one of the foremost theoreticians of war the West has ever produced. That came to my mind when I read former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld's annual letter to the IRS saying that tax codes and forms are so complex that even after paying for accountants to prepare his tax return, "I do not know whether or not my tax returns are accurate."


My tax return is quite simple, I assure you - except for having a college daughter who has received scholarships, which grotesquely complicates it - and I find completing even my return maddening.

As Carl von C. said about war, so in taxes: even the simplest return is difficult.

Donald Rumsfeld sends IRS letter every year as he has 'no idea' if tax returns are accurate | Mail Online

Disclosure

Luke 24, verses 13 thru 34 tell of a man named Cleopas walking to the town of Emmaus, near Jerusalem, accompanied by an unnamed companion. I...